The estate of a man who died after being electrocuted in a deer stand while using a pole saw to trim tree limbs, and a man who survived the accident, were awarded a combined $7.7 million.
The estate argued that the defendants in the matter were aware of the dangerous condition and failed to remedy the situation as required under the law, National Electrical Safety Code, and various defendants’ policies. The defendants in the matter denied liability for the man’s death and comparative negligence was also alleged.
In 2017, two men were performing pre-hunting-season maintenance around a deer stand, a four-legged structure used for hunting, when the deceased man’s pole saw made contact with electricity while “limbing” branches from a nearby tree.
The survivor of the accident alleged psychological trauma and physical injury due to electrical shock he experienced when attempting to help the deceased, and sued in a personal injury case.
The estate of the man who died was awarded $5 million; the survivor was awarded $2.7 million.
Many of the details in the case have been withheld due to a confidentiality agreement.
Is this a verdict or a settlement? Settlement
Type of case Negligence case: Survival and Wrongful Death
Amount: $7.7 million global
Injuries alleged: Electrocution death
Case name: Confidential
Case No.: Confidential
Date of verdict or settlement: February 2022
Attorney(s) for plaintiff and their firm(s): Andy Kunz of Elliott, Phelan & Kunz LLC (Georgetown, S.C.) and Gary Finklea of Finklea, Hendrick & Blake LLC (Florence, S.C.)
Attorney(s) for defendant and their firm(s): Confidential